Monday 1 April 2013

The day of birth reflections

31/03/2013

Observation has begun. I Immediately realise differences and 'holding back' as I give my little man the benefit of the doubt that "he can"! My desire to hold and smother him with kisses is being tempered as I see that my need to kiss him and squeeze him tight may not be his need right now. I want to let D get to know this windy, cool, noisy world on his terms.

Lieing in the delivery suite with my squishy vernix covered newborn on my chest, I reflect on attachment type practice of holding baby close at all times. Yes he will be held close by me, but I will wait more to read if that is what he wants. My little D, is capable,  strong, adaptable, able to make sense of the world in his own terms. I will provide support with careful and slow observation.

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I will eagerly follow your RIE journey from newborn-hood. I did not learn of RIE until my daughter was 8 months old, but it resonated immediately and I remain so grateful for its lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! This is my intent. The majority of RIE parents discover this way when children are a little older. There is very little info out there on rie with newborns. I hope to provide perspective and ideas for those starting with a new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I had my boy in March this year too, so he must be the same age as D. But he is my first and I'm just learning what parenting is and RIE really appeals to me. Even before I knew about RIE I didn't want to get him any conventional toys. What sort of RIE toys to you recommend for 6months to 1yrs old? He's at a stage where he is putting everything in his mouth. Apart from wooden toys I'm not sure what is safe.

    ReplyDelete