Monday 1 April 2013

Magda Gerber said, "Wait"


02/04/2013

Observation is key! Wait, wait, wait. I am learning to read my new boy's signs, a lot earlier than my previous children. It still feels a little odd to be warning D of a nappy change/a wipe/ before I pick him up/give him milk etc. But it also has an effect on me when I speak my intent. It centers me somewhat and connects me with D in a real respectful way.

Another thing I have noticed is I don't "shhhh" any more. I can hear the woman next door with her infant. It sounds like such frantic desperation on her part rather than any soothing
type of comfort for the child. And the fact he continues to cry is telling. This is a notable change in me as i am no longer afraid to hear a cry. Crying is now a call to attention and an opportunity to watch and listen and WAIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment